After World War II, five of the surviving members of Kinto Baptist Church in Hong Kong, together with two Singaporean members, met to discuss the proposal of starting a Cantonese-speaking Baptist church. After several rounds of discussion and an arduous search for other surviving members, the first Cantonese-speaking Baptist church in Singapore was started on 7 July 1949, using the premises of Teochew Baptist church situated then at Sophia Road.
In April 1951, the members decided to purchase a house in the city as the church. With the help of the American Southern Baptist Church, a house at Tras Street was purchased and the church began functioning in the premises in April 1951. The building had three storeys. The first storey was used for worship services, the second storey for Sunday School and the top storey as the pastor's quarters. With a place of its own, the church grew and expanded in that locality in the next ten years.
With the growth in membership, the church once again had to look for a bigger place. This time the members shared the vision of buying a piece of land for the church building. Through generous donations and pledges of the members and again with the help of the American Southern Baptist Church, a piece of land in Kay Poh Road was acquired in 1961.
Praise be to God! Soli Deo Gloria.